Pages

Followers

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Wyatt Pegasus and Schacht 40th Anniversary Matchless

IMG_4280 by AKPeacecat
IMG_4280, a photo by AKPeacecat on Flickr.
These two wheels make a lovely pair and are amazing machines. The big wheel is the highly sought-after Wyatt Pegasus. Made by Bill Wyatt, who died a few years ago, they are incredibly well-balanced and carefully crafted. Bill was a former bush pilot in Alaska before moving to Texas, and a sweet guy. We spent a lot of time visiting on the phone about spinning wheels and the state of the world. Like other wheel makers, he maintained a waiting list for his wheels. The Pegasus was the most popular model, and I needed on with the flyer on the right. Unfortunately, he died before he got to my name on the list.
Then, I cast my fishing line out on the internet, and a spinner contacted me wanting to sell her wheel. I pounced! The wheel was at the time only set up with a spindle, not with flyer and bobbins. Myles Jakubowski, Mr. Wyatt's apprentice, fashioned a beautiful flyer and bobbins set up for my wheel, and it came to me last year.
The Pegasus is made of mesquite wood and is very regal...and spins like a dream. The drive wheel is 30", and once you start treadling, it moves with very little effort. A work of art and engineering! I am fortunate to have one of these wheels.

The 40th Anniversary Cherry Matchless was produced in limited quantity by Schacht Spindle Company (Boulder, CO). At the time of their production, I talked myself out of purchasing one. But last year I decided that I wanted one and again put out internet feelers. This wheel was brand new, and still in a spinning shop on the east coast. She came to live with me several months ago and I LOVE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment